Titanium alloy parts have low density and good corrosion resistance, so they are also ideal structural materials for aerospace engineering. However, there are many factors that affect its processability at the same time, because the metallurgical properties and material properties of titanium alloys may have a serious impact on the cutting action and the material itself.
Processing conditions for processing titanium alloy parts
1. Compared with most other metal materials, titanium alloy parts are not only required to be processed, but also more limited. However, if you choose the right tool and use it correctly,
And by optimizing the machine and configuration to the optimum conditions for titanium alloy part processing requirements, these requirements are fully met and satisfactory performance and perfect results are achieved.
Many of the problems encountered in the processing of traditional titanium alloy parts are not inevitable. As long as the influence of titanium properties on the machining process is overcome, success can be achieved.
2. Titanium alloys have an excellent strength-to-weight ratio, which is usually only 60% of the density of steel. Titanium has a lower modulus of elasticity than steel, so the texture is harder and the deflection is better.
Titanium is also superior to stainless steel in corrosion resistance and has low thermal conductivity. These properties mean that titanium alloy parts produce higher and more concentrated cutting forces during processing.
It is prone to vibrations that cause chattering during cutting; and it also easily reacts with the cutting tool material during cutting, which exacerbates crater wear.
In addition, its thermal conductivity is poor, and since the heat is mainly concentrated in the cutting zone, the tool for processing titanium metal parts must have high heat hardness.
About the stability of titanium alloy parts processing
1. Some machine shops have found that titanium is difficult to process efficiently, but this view does not represent the development trend of modern processing methods and tools. Part of the difficulty is due to the fact that titanium processing is an emerging process and lacks experience to draw on. In addition, the difficulty is usually related to the expected value and the operator's experience. In particular, some people have become accustomed to the processing of materials such as cast iron or low-alloy steel, and the processing requirements of these materials are generally low. In contrast, processing titanium metal seems to be more difficult,
Because the same tool and the same speed cannot be used during machining, and the life of the tool is different.
2. Titanium metal processing is still more difficult than some stainless steels. We can certainly say that the processing of titanium metal must take different cutting speeds and feed rates as well as certain precautions.
In fact, titanium is a completely directly processable material compared to most materials. As long as the titanium workpiece is stable, the clamping is firm and the machine tool is selected correctly.
With the right power, good working conditions and an ISO 50 spindle with a short tool overhang, all problems are solved – as long as the cutting tool is correct.
3. However, in the actual milling process, the conditions required for the processing of titanium alloy parts are not always satisfied, because the ideal stability conditions are not always available.
In addition, many titanium parts are complex in shape and may contain many fine or deep cavities, thin walls, bevels, and thin brackets. To successfully process such parts,
Large overhangs and small diameter tools are required, which can affect tool stability. When processing titanium, it is often more prone to potential stability problems.
(titanium 3d printer for sale,passivating titanium,passivation of titanium,passivation titanium,how to remove anodizing from titanium,what is anodized titanium,diy anodizing titanium,titanium anodizing service,passivate titanium,anodizing titanium at home,diy titanium anodizing,titanium print,anodize titanium black,anodized titanium durability,does anodized titanium wear off.)